I couldn’t let the 4th of July weekend come and go without sharing these delicious S’mores cookies! If you are still looking for a dessert for your festivities or just want to try something new, why not give these cookies a try!
Ok, before we get into the recipe can we take a minute and look at the adorable flamingo towel? I love it! On to the recipe!
S’mores are one of my favorite summer treats and today I’m going to share how to combine chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallows into a dreamy S’mores Cookie!
You start by replacing some of the flour with graham cracker crumbs to make a delicious graham cracker cookie dough that you will then dot with chocolate chips. I am a purist when it comes to S’mores, so I use milk chocolate chips for these cookies. Then, as soon as the cookies are done baking, press 3-4 miniature marshmallows into the top of the cookies. Since the cookies are warm, the marshmallows will melt slightly.
Enjoy them warm to have the perfect gooey S’mores experience or if you can wait until they are cooled, the cookies are soft and chewy!
As always, it is important to pay attention to the temperature of your ingredients. You want your butter to be soft, but not melted and the egg to be at room temperature (you can do this quickly by placing an egg in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes). And please do not skip the step of chilling the dough. I tested these both with and without chilling, and chilling the dough gives you a thicker and chewier cookie.
This recipe makes 24 cookies…less if you taste test. Not that we EVER do that at our house 😉
Have a safe and happy July 4th!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg - room temperature
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Cover the cookie dough and refrigerate until firm, 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, drop rounded balls of cookie dough onto the baking sheet. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Cookies will look slightly underdone.
- Immediately press 3-4 mini marshmallows onto the top of the warm cookies. Let the cookies sit for 3 minutes, then slightly flatten the marshmallows with the back of a spoon (this gives the marshmallows a smooshed look) before moving to a cooling rack.