Valentine’s day is just a couple days away. Do you have special plans? We usually celebrate with a low key dinner at home and I always make a special dessert (last year I made these chocolate lava cakes). I’m still working on our menu for this year, but I’m thinking pasta with chocolate for dessert, of course.
What’s more special than giving your valentine candy? It’s giving them candy that you made yourself! This Saltine Cracker Toffee is so simple, you don’t even need a candy thermometer.
You can make this Saltine Cracker Toffee with six ingredients and 20 minutes of hands-on time, before letting the toffee setup in the fridge for about 2 hours before breaking it into pieces and digging in, if you can wait that long.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Easy Saltine Cracker Toffee
- 50 saltine crackers
- 1 cup unsalted butter - cubed
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips
- Course Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil and place crackers in a single layer on the cookie sheet.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring butter and sugar to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove saucepan from heat and immediately pour caramel over the crackers and spread into an even layer.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 4-5 minutes, or until caramel is bubbly.
- Remove pan from the oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Let the chocolate chips set until they begin to melt, about 2 minutes, then spread into an even layer (an offset spatula works great for this). Sprinkle the top with coarse sea salt.
- Let cool completely (you can put the pan into the refrigerator to speed up this process). Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.