Growing up coffee cake was one of the breakfast foods my mom made all the time, probably because it could easily feed our large family. I remember many breakfasts sitting around the kitchen table with my family, eating coffee cake and talking.
Now, this isn’t the recipe I grew up eating, But this cake tastes even better the next day. Yep, you heard that right, it tastes even better the next day. So go ahead, bake it the night before and then sleep in. The sour cream keeps the cake moist and gives it a delicious flavor. I love baked goods that include sour cream!
Using melted butter in the topping creates little craters in the cake, these little pockets of cinnamon and sugar goodness are my husband’s favorite part!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter - melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture alternating with the sour cream and vanilla. Scrape the bowl and continue to mix until combined. The mixture will be light and creamy.
- In a small bowl combine melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
- Pour batter into greased baking pan and sprinkle with the topping. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake, comes out clean.