I’ve always loved stuffed shells and decided it was past time to make a chicken and broccoli alfredo version. These stuffed shells are filled with tasty chicken, fresh broccoli, and lots of cheesy goodness. And just when you think it couldn’t get any better, it’s covered in a deliciously creamy homemade garlic alfredo sauce. Let’s just call this comfort food.
I love homemade alfredo sauce and today’s recipe comes together in less time than it takes to bring a large pot of water to boil to cook the shells. But if the thought of making homemade sauce intimidates you, go ahead and grab a jar at the grocery store.
When I made these shells I did them from start to finish and straight to the table. But I think this recipe would also work nicely to completely prep the shells ahead of time and then refrigerate up to 24 hrs before baking them.
Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese - cubed and softened
- 1 1/2 cup milk - I used 1%
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup parmesan cheese - shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 30 large shells - cooked al dente
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken - can use rotisserie chicken
- 1 small head broccoli chopped - about 1 1/2 - 2 cups
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese - shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese - shredded
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium/low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the cream cheese, one cube at a time, and stir with a whisk until melted. Continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add the milk and whisk quickly to fully incorporated into the sauce. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, pepper and salt until the cheese is melted and the sauce is the desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 375 and spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
- Cook shells in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain and rinse shells in cool water.
- In a large bowl combine shredded chicken, chopped broccoli, ricotta cheese, and parmesan cheese until just combined.
- Fill each shell with a heaping tablespoon of the chicken and cheese filling and place into the pan in rows. Pour alfredo sauce over shells and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place in oven and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until hot, bubbly and slightly brown on top.