While I would love to eat sweets all day long, sometimes you need vegetables and today’s recipe is filled with them!
These cold winter days put me in the mood for comfort food and this recipe definitely fits the bill. Chicken and vegetables in a flavorful broth and covered in cheddar biscuits. Yum! One of the things I love about this recipe is you can get a head start on the dinner clean up while it is baking .
This recipe fills a 9×9 inch pan, like completely full and almost overflowing. To catch any stray drips, I usually put a rimmed baking sheet on the rack below. Also, this recipe has a very high ratio of pot pie to biscuit, which is just the way we like it around here. it also calls for mixed vegetables, which I never keep stocked in my freezer, so I just combine the frozen vegetables I already have.
Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuit Topping
Pot Pie Filling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast - cut into bite size pieces OR 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
Cheddar Drop Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - melted
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- If cooking the chicken as part of the recipe: melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is browned, about 2 minutes each side.add flour and whisk to combine. Slowly add chicken stock while whisking to avoid lumps. Add in cooked chicken, vegetables and cheese. Stir to combine and reduce heat to medium. Allow mixture to come to a boil, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened.
- If using pre-cooked chicken: melt butter in a medium saucepan, add flour and whisk to combine. Slowly add chicken stock while whisking to avoid lumps. Add in cooked chicken, vegetables and cheese. Stir to combine and reduce heat to medium. Allow mixture to come to a boil, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine flour, cheese, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, and parsley. Whisk until combined and cheese is coated with flour. Add butter and milk and stir until just moistened (a few dry streaks and lumps are fine).
- Pour pot pie mixture into a 9x9 inch pan. Drop biscuits by the rounded tablespoon full on top of pot pie. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until biscuits are golden brown.