When you need a cookie that’s large and in charge and tastes like a brownie? I have your back! There’s something about a thick, gooey chocolate cookie that speaks to me. It’s comfort food at its best.
It’s my birthday tomorrow!! Um, I’m turning 32 and I’m still not sure how I feel about this. If you’ve followed me here for a while, you know I love to celebrate my birthday with chocolate treats. Examples: here & here.
Let’s be honest, I don’t just celebrate my birthday with chocolate, I think most occasions call for chocolate or tacos, but we’ll leave the taco conversation is for a different day.
This year, instead of another chocolate cake, we are living on the wild side and going straight to a recipe I’ve wanted to have in my back pocket (and kitchen) for years.
Bakery Style Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies are showstoppers. Large, bakery style, soft and gooey chocolate cookies loaded with melty chocolate chips.
Y’all the cookie dough straight up tastes like brownies. Not that I know this from first-hand experience… 😉
And we’re also not going to talk about how messy I got taking these photos. Chocolate, chocolate EVERYWHERE!!
Let’s dive into the 3 main parts of these cookies:
- Cocoa powder and 2+ types of chocolate chips. Using different types of chocolate gives a depth to the chocolate flavor.
- I used a combination of dark and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Lots of chips = lots of melty chocolate.
- Bigger cookies = more gooey chocolate
- You need 1/4 cup of dough for each cookie, that’s about 2.5 ounces. Yep, we’re pulling out all of the stops.
CHILL THAT DOUGH
- Repeat with me “chilling prevents spreading.” And when you are looking for thick cookies, it’s especially important.
- We are going to chill the dough twice. First, I chilled the dough for 2-4 hours. Then after measuring and rolling the dough, you need another 5-minute chill.
If you are still reading here, I’m so glad! I love trying new recipes and these were so fun, and delicious! I hope you try them and love them too!
Large bakery style, soft and gooey chocolate cookies loaded with chocolate chips.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt if using salted butter, decrease to 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips use a blend of dark and semi-sweet
In a large bowl with a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time and mix until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the mixer all at once and mix until combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix until combined. Cover and chill cookie dough for 2-4 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Measure 1/4 cup (also 2.5 ounces, or 71 grams) of cookie dough and form into rounded balls of cookie dough and place on the baking sheet. Chill the dough again on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, remove and place into the preheated oven and bake for 12-13 minutes, Cookies will be mostly set.
Let cookies cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely. Because of their size, the cookies will fall apart if moved too soon.
Did you try this recipe? Leave me a comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Do you follow Sam’s Dish on social media? I post new recipes, updates, and sneak peeks!