From start to finish in under one hour, this potato soup has a delicious and creamy sauce, soft chunks of potato, and a secret ingredient. I guess if it’s in the name it’s not that secret.
On Saturday while we were waiting for the winter storm, I was craving homemade soup. I tried this recipe with the thought that if it doesn’t flop maybe I would share it on the blog. Not only did it not flop, but I couldn’t stop eating it. This soup is the stuff my chunky potato soup dreams are made of!
Chunky vs. Creamy
Most of the potato soups I’ve had and loved are smooth with very minimal lumps. In fact, one of my very favorite ones is my SIL Meredith’s recipe.
While creamy potato soups are delicious, I have been on the lookout for a chunky potato soup for years. Today’s recipe is every bit as glorious as I had dreamed it would be.
Unlike other recipes that use cauliflower in place of potatoes, we aren’t replacing anything today. We are just adding some extra vegetables. Still a delicious potato soup, with some extra goodness.
Don’t be alarmed when you open the Instant Pot and the potatoes and cauliflower are still intact. While the soup is simmering the cauliflower will break down and be barely noticeable.
- I LOVE cooking potatoes in the Instant Pot. Not only do they cook quickly, but you also don’t have to worry about the pot boiling over!
- Like every Instant Pot recipe, the cook time is longer than the active cook time to allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure.
- I haven’t tried to make this recipe on the stove. But I would start with boiling the potatoes and cauliflower in the chicken broth until they are soft before adding the milk mixture.
Instant Pot Cheesy Cauliflower Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion - optional
- 1-2 cloves garlic - finely minced
- 2 pounds potatoes - chopped in about 1/2-1 inch pieces (see note)
- 1/2 pound about 2 cups frozen cauliflower florets
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth - divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheese, - chopped bacon
- Turn the Instant Pot on and select saute, add olive oil and heat for a few minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the onions are softened. Add the potatoes, cauliflower, 1 cup chicken broth, salt, and pepper to the Instant Pot and stir.
- Place the lid on the pot, making sure the pressure valve is set to the “sealing” position and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and release the pressure.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a blender combine the remaining chicken broth, cream cheese, flour, and milk. Blend until smooth.
- Remove the lid and turn the Instant Pot to saute again. Stir in the milk mixture and continue cooking until the soup simmers and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir until melted and combined.
- I used gold potatoes and they were delicious.