I’m not being overly dramatic when I say that this recipe was love at first bite! I had seconds and couldn’t wait to have the leftovers for lunch the next day! And it’s been on our menu a couple of times a month ever since.
Simple, classic, and you don’t have to turn on the oven,! Which is especially great since summer is coming in hot!
Yes, I put that in all caps for a reason. The cheese is the star of this recipe. This meal gets most of its flavor from the feta, so if you aren’t a fan, this recipe might not be the right one for you.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Bell peppers – I like using red or yellow
- Broccoli or cauliflower, finely chopped
- You need about 1.5-2 cups of vegetables.
In case you didn’t pick up on it, the vegetables are completely customizable and I’d love to hear what you choose.
While not a one-pan meal, it is a 30 minute (or less) meal, which makes getting dinner on the table a breeze even if you don’t have a lot of time.
If you follow the recipe steps in sequential order, it might take longer than 30 minutes, so I recommend:
- Start your pasta water
- Chop your vegetables and chicken
- Add your orzo to the water
- Start your skillet to cook the chicken
It’s safe to say that Orzo is going to be a big part of our summer menu!
Mediterranean Orzo Skillet
- 6 ounces orzo pasta
- 4 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless - skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli/cauliflower
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic minced - or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 - 1 cup feta cheese - crumbled
- In a large pot start the water for the orzo. When it comes to a boil add a pinch of salt and the orzo and cook for one minute less than the package directions. Add the spinach and cook for an additional minute, or until wilted. Drain and set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the chicken, seasoned with the salt and pepper, and cook until the pieces are golden on the outside.
- Add the peppers, oregano, garlic, and cook, until the vegetables are softened and the chicken is cooked through, stirring often for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the orzo, spinach, and half of the feta cheese. Heat through and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Remove from heat and sprinkle with the remaining feta cheese before serving.
Did you try this recipe? Leave me a comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Do you follow Sam’s Dish on social media? I post new recipes, updates, and sneak peeks!