It’s time for all of the Christmas cookies! Last year we moved the week before Christmas so there was no time for cookies (sadness!) So this year I am making up for it! As I’m typing this I’ve finished 4 different kinds of cookies and have sugar cookie dough chilling in the fridge. This year I’m making a couple of new recipes and a couple of favorites!
These cookies are the first new recipe I tried this year and it’s not surprising that they are one of my favorite holiday flavor combos!
These chewy chocolate cookies are filled with a puddle of velvety smooth chocolate ganache.
These cookies get a triple shot of peppermint. You’ll use peppermint extract in the cookie dough and ganache, and they are finished off with a sprinkle of crushed candy canes!
Do you love chocolate and peppermint too? Then you need to try my Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies too!
Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprints
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar - divided
- 1 large egg - room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 4 ounce semi-sweet chocolate bar, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup crushed candy cane - about 2 large candy canes
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter, brown sugar, and 1/3 granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, vanilla, and peppermint extract, and mix until combined. Scraping the bowl as needed.
- Add the flour mixture and milk, and mix on low until combined. The cookie dough will be thick.
- Roll small balls of cookie dough, about 1 tablespoon each, and roll each ball in the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Place all cookies onto a cookie sheet. Using your thumb or the end of a spatula, make an indent in each cookie.
- Chill the shaped cookies for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake cookies for 12-13 minutes or until the edges are set. If the centers puff up while baking, press them down lightly again. Let cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely before adding the Ganache.
- Place chopped chocolate into a heat proof bowl and set aside. In a small saucepan, warm the cream until a gentle simmer. Pour over the chocolate and let sit for 2-3 minutes to soften the chocolate. Slowly stir until melted and smooth. Stir in the peppermint extract. Taste and add a drop or 2 more peppermint if needed. Cool ganache for about 10 minutes before spooning into the cookies.
- Spoon about 3/4 teaspoon of ganache into each cookie and top with a sprinkle of crushed candy canes.
- The ganache will harden, but still be creamy when you bite into the cookies.
Did you try this recipe? Leave me a comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Do you follow Sam’s Dish on social media? I post new recipes, updates, and sneak peeks!