I love meals that are quick and easy to get on the table and dirty as few pans as possible. I also love chicken parmesan, but I don’t love the calories that usually go with it. This recipe isn’t authentic Chicken Parmesan, there is no breading on the chicken, but it does have great flavor from the marinade. For a weeknight meal, I am happy to save on the extra calories.
To make this recipe even easier, feel free to substitute your favorite jarred marinara sauce for the recipe I have listed below. Our local grocery has a basting oil that is delicious and is what I use for the marinade, but you could even marinade the chicken in your favorite Italian salad dressing if you wanted too. Typically I serve this over a spaghetti-like pasta, but use a bowtie or rotini if that’s what you have. Enjoy!
Healthier Skillet Chicken Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1 pound chicken breasts - filed or sliced thin
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- In a storage bag combine all of the marinade ingredients, add the chicken and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- In a large 12-inch skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and place chicken pieces in the hot oil, cooking for 2-3 minutes per side until they are browned, (they’ll finish cooking later.). Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to low and add additional olive oil if needed, add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper, stirring until combined. Return the heat to medium and add the chicken back into the skillet. The chicken should be mostly covered with the sauce. Cover the skillet and simmer on medium or medium-low for about 15 minutes, checking frequently to ensure the chicken isn’t getting too brown. If the sauce is simmering too hard, turn down the heat.
- Uncover the skillet, sprinkle with shredded cheese over the chicken and sauce. Cover and cook for 3 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve over hot pasta, if desired.