I know that baked tacos aren’t new, but we finally tried them and I’m here to report they are no fuss and take tacos to a whole new level. I think I’ve told you before that I love Taco Tuesday and I’m talking, love, love Taco Tuesday. If you don’t believe me, just ask Mr. Sam.
This recipe calls for precooked chicken. I like to cook a couple chicken breasts in the crockpot and then shred and keep in the freezer for meals like this. Another option would be to grab a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store.
To make these tacos I tossed cooked and shredded chicken with taco sauce, honey, and lime juice. I used taco sauce because that’s what I had in my fridge, but feel free to substitute with enchilada sauce or even your favorite salsa. Or you could be a rebel and skip the sauce altogether and go straight for a couple teaspoons of taco seasoning.
It takes just minutes to make the sauce for the chicken and fill the tortillas, then while the tacos are baking I prep the toppings.
This recipe could easily be doubled or even tripled to feed a larger group. Also, if you want the tacos to be spicier, you could even add some hot sauce to the chicken mixture.
Baked Chicken Tacos
- 1 cup chicken - cooked and shredded
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 3 tablespoons taco sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 flour tortillas - taco sized
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place cooked, shredded chicken in a bowl and add taco sauce, honey, and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Place the taco shells in a baking dish and divide chicken among the shells, top with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is heated through. Serve warm with your favorite toppings.