Ya’ll, it’s pumpkin time!
When September rolls around I always find myself missing summer, but my love of fall and everything that goes along with it helps me get through it. lol. I remember the first time I fell in love with fall, it was six years ago when I moved to Philadelphia from South Carolina and I finally understood what people had been talking about!
I don’t think there would be a better way to celebrate the start of fall than with a new pumpkin muffin recipe!
Do you share my love of fall and all things pumpkin?
Before we get into the recipe I wanted to take a minute to say thank you for your patience over the summer while I took a lot of time off from the blog. I’m back and more excited than ever to share some of my favorite recipes with you!
Now to get to the best part of this post these Pumpkin Spice Crumb Muffins!
You may be wondering how this recipe differs from the Pumpkin Muffin recipe I posted last year. And the simple answer is…crumb topping. I mean, just look at it.
The muffins I’m sharing today are moist, while still being incredibly fluffy. But the star of the show is definitely the crumb topping. Please don’t skip it!
You are going to use vegetable oil in the muffins to keep them moist and melted butter in the crumb topping for the delicious butter flavor.
The last time I made these I subbed a cup of the flour with whole wheat flour and I honestly can’t tell the difference. I also decreased the brown sugar to 3/4 of a cup for a slightly less sweet muffin.
Head over to the kitchen and whip up a batch to enjoy with your next latte!
Pumpkin Spice Crumb Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs - at room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk - at room temperature (I used 1%)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
- Preheat oven to 425. Line 16 muffin cups with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, vanilla, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, eggs, and milk until smooth and combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently fold them together until just combined. Spoon into the muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stir in the melted butter until crumbs are formed. Spoon crumbs evenly over muffins (each muffin will get about 2 teaspoons) and press them down until they stick in the batter.
- Bake the muffins for 5 minutes at 425 and then reduce the temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.