Looking for a lighter pasta dish that is perfect for the end of summer? I have you covered! This easy skillet lasagna is ready in 30 minutes using only 1 pan, and is full of vegetables and cheesy goodness!
- Feel free to mix and match the vegetables you use. Spinach, carrots, broccoli, or even cauliflower would be delicious additions. But will change this recipe from being a summer lasagna to more of vegetable lasagna. Delicious, but different.
- We don’t often have meatless dinners at our house, but this one is worth it delicious! If you wanted to add meat, Italian chicken sausage would be a great addition. Cook the sausage first, then remove from the pan and add back in with the zucchini and squash.
- Do not skip the fresh basil! It packs a serious flavor punch that dried basil can’t deliver!
- Cheese – I used a shaved parmesan and it was delightful!
Please check back in if you try this recipe and let me know what you think!
Summer Skillet Lasagna
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 2-3 medium Roma tomatoes* - diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups broth or water *
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces bowtie pasta
- 1 small zucchini - chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 small yellow squash - chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
- Chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large non-stick skillet heat the oil over medium heat until hot and rippling, add the onion and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, water, pasta, and salt, stirring after each addition. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so the pasta doesn’t stick.
- Stir in zucchini and squash. Continue cooking for another 6-8 minutes, or until noodles and squash are tender. (if the mixture seems too dry or starts to stick, add more broth or water).
- Remove skillet from the heat and stir in most of the basil, 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, and 3/4 cup parmesan cheese until melted and creamy.
- Dot with the remaining 1/2 cup ricotta, season with salt and pepper as needed, and sprinkle with the remaining basil and parmesan cheese.
Do you follow Sam’s Dish on social media? I post new recipes, updates, and sneak peeks!