Now I know that soup season is almost over, but I needed to sneak this one in before spring officially or unofficially comes. You can thank me later.
This soup is full of vegetables and unlike a lot of broccoli and cheese soups that are smooth, there are actually chunks of vegetables in there. But what puts this soup over the edge is a delicious cheese sauce that is made with real cheddar cheese…no processed cheese in this soup!
This soup cooks quickly and you can do most of the prep ahead of time, making it perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. I like to chop the vegetables (except for the potatoes), shred the cheese and cook the bacon the night before so that when I get home from work it’s ready to go. Hope you enjoy it!
Loaded Broccoli Potato and Cheese Soup
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth - divided
- 1 cup chopped carrots - peeled and diced small
- 3 cups potatoes - peeled and diced small
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4-5 cups broccoli crowns - diced small
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk - I use 1%
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese - about 16 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4-6 slices bacon - chopped
- In a medium pot, combine 3 cups chicken broth, carrots, potatoes, and onion. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 10 minutes, the vegetables should be starting to get tender.
- Add the chopped broccoli, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. At this point the pan will look full of vegetables.
- In a separate medium saucepan, Melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in the remaining 1 cup broth and the milk and cook until the mixture is bubbling and is slightly thickened about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir the cheese, one handful at a time, into the milk mixture. Once the cheese is melted, stir in the salt and pepper.
- Slowly stir the cheese sauce into the broth and vegetables, until combined. Add additional salt and pepper to taste and additional broth or milk until the soup is the desired consistency.
- Serve topped with chopped bacon and shredded cheese.