Y’all, it’s officially soup season and I’m so excited! I have big plans to try lots of new soup recipes this winter. Today I’m sharing with you a soup that is full of simple and hearty ingredients because nothing warms you up on a dreary day like creamy homemade soup. And this White Lasagna Soup is creamy and tastes like comfort in a bowl.
Don’t be scared away by the long list of ingredients, they are mostly pantry staples. I find especially with soups that it is helpful to prep the ingredients before you get started, so you have everything you need ready to go.
I like this soup with Italian sausage, I think it gives the soup a great flavor. You can substitute chicken or turkey sausage or even shredded chicken. You can also use any shape of pasta that you like, but I really like how rustic the broken lasagna noodles are. Just make sure that you break them into pieces that are small enough to fit on a spoon…just trust me on that one.
White Lasagna Soup
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 2 carrots - about 1 cup, peeled and diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic - minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash red pepper flakes - optional
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles - broken into bite-size, approx. 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup half and half or milk
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese - for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot, at least 4 quarts, over medium-high heat. Add sausage and sauté until cooked through. Remove the sausage to a plate and drain any excess fat.
- In the same pot, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Sprinkle with flour and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in 8 cups of chicken broth. Whisk 3 tablespoons cornstarch with the 1 cup water and add to soup. Stir in the sausage, seasonings, and lasagna noodles.
- Bring soup to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook until lasagna noodles are tender, stirring occasionally so noodles don’t stick to bottom (about 20 minutes).
- Remove the bay leaf and stir in half and half and spinach and warm through about 5 minutes. Stir in grated Parmesan cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish servings with cheese.